Monday, July 21, 2008

Santa makes a Summer Visit

For those of you with small children, who might be nearing the end of your rope of summer fun, here's a glimmer of hope. If you believe. I believe.

Santa makes his magical visit to our home every year. In fact, my own mother still believes in him. So it makes perfect sense that in the day of "don't lie to your kids" or "tell them the real reason of the season" that I'm okay with a little magic. Make no mistake, we are a family of faith, of prayer, and of understanding the reason we celebrate Christmas. Our kids know as many details as we do. And while I may regret it when the truth hits them both, it works for us now.

So yesterday, after a long weekend of cousins, birthday parties, cookouts, and travel, we had a meltdown. Well, Sarah had the meltdown. It began innocently enough, while we were amidst a game of hide n seek. I had been "it" but was this time hiding, conveniently enough in the laundry room where I took advantage of the slow finder and changed out a load of laundry. I heard the grandparents talking about crying, who it was, where it was, that kind of thing. Fast forward downstairs, top bunk, Cameron's room. Both of ours crying. Cousins not crying. That's typical. As it turns out, Sarah had taken a salivating turn to her brother's back for a little hors d'oeuvre treat to herself. Luckily, she didn't get a mouthful, but she most definitely made her mark.

Where does Santa come in? Well, after much debate with family about whether the punishment fit the crime, I once more discussed the deal with the 3 year old. And, I told her I'd be making a call to Santa while she was asleep! Nothing like a Summer check up. And just like last year, it worked much better than any threat or punishment we've ever dished. It even comes with a visitor from Elf on the Shelf. Visit www.elfontheshelf.com website for help with your little ones! Magic put a spell on us once more, and not a minute too soon!

No comments: