Tuesday, July 15, 2008
All they need is love
Children love to be loved, praised, thought highly of, and payed attention to. I don't think that is new info to anyone, but something we often forget. In a day's time, I've been guilty of using phrases like, "Are you serious? You thought mommy would be happy that you did that?" I'm no expert, but what I do know is the look in both of my kids eyes when I bring out the positive of a situation, instead of the negative. When I surround a situation with love. My kids recently broke a window by throwing marbles in our sun room. My presence? Negative. Somewhere in the other end of the house. Cameron reports, mommy investigates. My first question was, "Oh wow! Are you both okay? Did anyone touch the glass? Is anyone cut?" Instead of, "Why did...what were....you're in trouble....give me those....wait till your father gets home.....get to your room!" No, they don't need to hear that! What they did need to hear was love and that I thought of their safety first. These windows are from the floor to the ceiling, 2 stories high, and on somewhat of a hill, with rocks all around! Luckily it was a small break, didn't require repair immediately, and was on the higher pane. Luckily, they were throwing marbles, small ones. Anyway, of course I told them not to do that again, but why? Not because the windows are probably expensive, or because it would be a hassle to fix, but because their safety is the most important part of my job as their mom. But I think, no I know, I got more respect that way and I can be sure they won't do it again. Well, hopeful anyway!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So often, it can be very difficult to use positive in a situation and much easier to use the negative. I agree, respect is gained much easier during the positive moments. Thanks for reminding me! I needed this!
Bran
Post a Comment